Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Writing - Good ~~~ Marketing - Yuck

Another delightfully busy day. Moved J.J. along on his descent into frustration and guilt. I'm hoping his rationale is believable. I was talking about my first book 'After the War, Before the Peace' today and it was strange to point out that the character J.J. is Michael Farrell's great-grandson. Michael was the main character in my first book.

I'm getting good feed back on the 'Abby' flyer I created, as well as the business cards with the pictures of my three novels. This marking ebooks is a whole new ballgame for me, so I'm open to trying anything.

Got a call from Dave today. He had a speaking engagement in the L.A. area and sold 25 books!! Hurray for him. Pales my 5 sold yesterday, but I'm soooooo happy for him.

Also got a call from Kathy who came to one of our novel meetings. She has gone with Author House to publish her Christian romance novel. She seems very pleased with their procedure and pricing. I hope all works out well for her. Self-publishing is wonderful in that a writer can finally control the publishing of his/her book. I'm glad I did it with my first one, but I won't do it again. Virtual Tales Publishing has been a dream to work with. The release delays I've experienced with Awe-Struck Publish, along with no print book, has left with a wait and see attitude on working with them. I'm hoping things will turn out well.

In thinking about my quote of the day, it's marketing that is one of my concerns, so these words of wisdom from Winston Churchill seem to fit my mood. "Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an an amusement. Then is becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster and fling him to the public."

No comments: