Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A Rejection & A Win!!

My two free days of Monday and Tuesday got busy. Monday am it was errands and a trip to the post office to mail the TelecomPioneers newsletter. But, for the rest of the day, it was writing and criting to my hearts content.

Moved 'Lita' along and now have them in Wyoming. Still now sure how I'm going to kill Lita off, yet make it palatable to my readers. Hope the muse steps in with ideas. Then I found some time to do some criting for my on-line friends/writers. Lots of good stories. Man, there's a lot of competition out there!

Today, I had lunch with Shirley, my elderly, blind writer friend. She has been invited to the April 11 writer's forum. But, she doesn't see any advantage in doing it so she'll probably skip it. She asked me for my thoughts. I told her my take is that being an unknown author with a self-published first book out there, all I want to do is get folks to read my book. So, if the organizers of the forum want me to give away a book for a drawing, I'll do it. If they want me to talk for a few minutes on writing, I do it. You never know who will attend and who just might be in a position to open some publishing doors. In all likelyhood, it won't happen, but it sure won't happen if I'm not there presenting my efforts. I wish Hannah would be moved from and e-serial to an e-book. It would be easier to sell. I think I'll contact the editor at Virtual Tales next week.

Got a rejection today from Everyday Fiction for my 'The Case of the Pink Gloves'. Said they thought it was good writing, but too predictable. Oh well, they're probably right. Back to the drawing board.

Then tonight it was off to bingo with winter visitor Shirley and I won $175! Yahoo!!

Had an odd thing happen the other day. A neighbor, a strange little man called Cowboy, stopped me as I was pulling out of my driveway. He said he was sorry to hear that my boyfriend had committed suicide. Said he heard it from his neighbor. I was shocked, but assured him that first of all I didn't have a boyfriend and second of all, I knew no one who had committed suicide. After he described said boyfriend, I realized he was talking about Roger, a neighborhood handy-man. Roger is happily involved with Shirley, a woman he lives with. Then, the next day a neighbor on the next block, whose name is also Shirley, let me know her ex-husband had committed suicide. From his picture he resembles Roger. I guess the nosey neighbor got things confused. Geez, I stay on a share-a-wave-only basis with my neighbors and still I get in trouble. Oh well, as a doctor once told me when my first child was ready to be born a few days before I'd been married nine months, 'Let 'em talk. If they're talking about you, they're leaving someone else alone.' Anyway, it was too bizarre.

I'm off to Calif. again tomorrow. My best-friend Yvonne's son Joe died and his memorial is going to held Thursday am. I don't know how you bury a son. It's against nature. I'll be back on Friday afternoon. I'm not looking forward to the long ride across the desert, but I want to be there if she needs me.

So, adios for now. Good writing and reading to all!

No comments: