Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Saxman

Where does time go??? I can't believe it's Saturday already. I remember when Saturday was a big deal, now it's just another day. But, I must say, a glorious, sunny, Arizona day!

Last Saturday's writer's meeting was good, as always. Most folks enjoyed my excerpt from 'Lita' that I submitted last time. Several commented on the authenticity of the dialog between the two men. One lady, who is new to the group couldn't believe that a woman had written it. That was music to my ears. One fellow questioned the use of the word 'maudlin' as used by men in the 1880s, but another writer who has studied old diaries said it is exactly the type of work that would have been used in that era. Also, my friend from England questions the use of the word 'wad' as a brother said, 'I'd bet my wad that ...' I meant it as money, but she said it had a sexual suggestion. I'll have to think on that. Then it was off to Denny's. We didn't break up until 5:oo. That has to be a new record. Lots of good conversation!

Then it was off to Laughlin to see Wayne Newton with my sister. What fun. I thought the sax player was good looking, so after the show, we went up to the stage. My sister said she wanted to call out to the sax player. I told her we were just looking, but the man in front of us heard the conversation. He yelled, "Hey, Saxman!" The saxman grinned and waved. I hit the man who had called out. He laughed and said, "You hit me!" I told him it was not out of meanness, just passion. He put his arm around my shoulder and said, "Well, in that case, let's ditch my wife." She was evidently a character, too. She just laughed and said, "I know what you mean. I was playing the slots and this change man was so darn cute that I told him if I was 40 years younger, his night wouldn't be his own." We all laughed. My sister said she is going to call my daughter and tell her that I'm a crazy person at concerts! All in all, despite the fact that Newton can't sing anymore, it was a good show and a lot of exiting-the-theatre fun!

As for the rest of the week, I worked on 'Lita' a lot. An episode concerning brother Joe developed. It seemed almost as if Joe was whispering in my ear to tell his tale. It was fun. I hope it works.

I sent a flash story, 'Taping In', out to Flasher's-Dozen. Got interesting crits from too much info, to lack of character development, to got it-liked it and a dislike of the title. Good feedback all. I'm lucky to be involved with such a good group. The character remark really surprised me. That's usually my forte. Ah, the learning process marches forward!

The local junior college, MCC, is going to have a writer's forum in April. I've been invited to participate. Sounds interesting. We'll have tables to display our work, but we can't sell any. We are invited to give a 20 minute lecture to the attendees and we are asked to donate a book or two for drawings. Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot.

Finally finished repainting my desk that I bought at the garage sale. Again, I proved that I'm not any good with my hands! But, I kind of like it, so will keep it and use it.

No comments: