Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Marketing

Oct. 13, 2009

Not much in the way of writing info today. I did bring my 'Stephen's Boys' forward. The new plot is working well.

I need to start reading my Raymond Chandler book for the next book club. I do not like crime/mystery stories so I'm not looking forward to it. But, the book club steered me onto Evanovich or Braun and I do enjoy them.

I received a call from Xlibris today. They gave me another offer to market my book. Of course, it would only cost me about $500. I told the rep that they need to rethink what they offer their authors. My other publishers do some marketing, but don't charge me for it. Like I told the rep, the marketing is primarily the author's responsibility, but help from the publisher would really help. I made my standard offer of "Give me the opportunity of presentation at a conference and I would give them 75% of any sales I make." He agreed it sounded good, but of course he could not make such an offer.

Marketing - The bane of this writing profession and so I leave you with this. "If you don't risk anything you risk even more." Erica Jong

No comments: