Monday, October 12, 2009

Plots, Research and a Success Story

Oct. 12, 2009

Worked on my latest novel this morning. Unfortunately, it was very little writing and a lot of research about WWII, especially what the army and the army air corp was doing in early 1945. Also, had a brilliant, well I think it was brilliant, plot shift as to the survival of one of the main characters. I believe it's going to make a better ending. I'm excited about the book again. I knew my old plot movement wasn't really working when I was having trouble making things happen. That's what makes writing so much fun!

I finally finished 'Dream Country' by Luanne Rice. If she had one more unimportant character in her story, I believe I would have screamed. I did finish it, but I certainly don't recommend it. She is a good technical writer and the book had possibilities, but there was too much cliche and preaching for my taste.

Went to a Republican Women's meeting today and ended up with an offer to speak before a local civic group. They want me to talk about the entrance into the world of writing and how it takes more than the memory of a high school English teacher that said you had some writing talent. They want to know about what a writer owes a reader and how much grammar expertise is enough. Should be fun and it's another opportunity to sell my books.

Got a call from a friend who went to the SSA conference in Tucson with me. He said his brother-in-law Don sent his sci-fi manuscript to a publisher, at their request. He got word today that they will publish his book. Yahoo!!! I sent my sci-fi novel 'Regardless' to them, too. Because of the gay issue, I not sure it's there cup of tea. They are primarily a CD book producer, but they do provide print books, too. I'm happy for Don. Getting that first book published is a great thrill.

So, night I want to share these words from George Orwell regarding getting started in this crazy world of fiction writing.

"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: 1. What am I trying to say? 2. What words will express it? 3. What image or idiom will make it clearer? 4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?"

No comments: